Monday, September 24, 2012

Fotobabble


I chose Fotobabble because the description on Larry’s website really caught my eye. It sounded interesting to be able to record discussion my own picture or website.  Fotobabble would help a student  who may be hearing impaired. It may also assist a student who needs to see things visually when they are learning. A child with a disability in an inclusion classroom who may have a hearing impairment may need sound or discussion amplified. For this student I would allow them to go to the computer center and go to the fotobabbles that I have set up. I would also have headphones plugged into the computer on a higher volume setting. Student would be allowed to sit by themselves with the headphones on and listen to the fotobabbles I have created. Depending on the grade level student maybe allowed to take notes. After a student has watched the fotobabble they would be able to complete the worksheets and activities that go along with the information they were presented with. For example I created a fotobabble about King Penguins. The picture available is a photo of 3 king penguins. As they look at the image my voice would play in the background stating the facts about the king penguin.
This could be used during a science lesson on animals. I could use many different animals and create a recording of information related to each animal. Using fotobabble allows for a student who maybe hearing impaired to focus in on what they need to learn with no distractions and to hear my voice and only my voice through the headphones with no other voices or background noises. Since fotobabble is used online through the computer students could also be getting practice using basic computer skills.
Fotobabble would also be good for students with autism because it can be downloaded as an APP. Lately researchers have shown that the use of IPads and tablets help those with autism. Students with autism could have their learning recorded with a picture or video. Once again they would be getting the basic technology skills, fine motor skills of using the devices. As well as a more hands on and verbal approach. 

1 comment:

  1. Can you clarify how it would assist a student who is hearing impaired any more than any other amplification system? Typically we don't want to use technology just because "it is there" but because it is truly beneficial-- it needs to allow equal access and in the case of UDL, it should provide benefit to student learning, content delivery, etc.

    I liked your example!

    ReplyDelete